Monday, December 5, 2016

Honor Thy Father

The average person has the opportunity to be able to have their dad, living with them and helping to raise them. I am one of those average people. I believe that having a father in the home, helping to raise the children that he helped to make is something that can change how children in today's society.

One of my favorite movies is "Courageous", a movie about five men, who have the courage to stand up against the forces of evil and try to be better men and fathers. The following clips are scenes that show the pact made between these men and some of the conversations between two of the deputies.


 In this scene the young deputy, David talks to his partner, Nathan about the importance of being a father. Nathan explains to David how not having his father around, really effected him.
Nathan really helps David see how one man's choice can have a lasting effect on so many people.


The next scene that I am sharing is the Father's Resolution. This resolution is what change many of the fathers in this movie. The Father's Resolution is just that. A resolution to become a better man, a better husband to your wives and a better father to your children. In this clip, all four of the Sheriff's deputies and their friend, Javier, accept to take this resolution and to become better men. They make this commitment in front of their wives, their children, and their God.




This scene is the scene where David, the youngest deputy shows that he has truly changed. He sends a letter to his daughter's mother, asking for her forgiveness for him being selfish. He says that he hasn't wanted to accept responsibility for having a daughter, but because he has found God, he knows what it is that he needs to be doing. But, he does it in a very respectable way. He doesn't try to force her, because he knows that she has been the one taking care of their daughter for the last four years.



I consider myself extremely lucky. I have had my father around and he has been one of the biggest influences in my life. He has been the one to give me advice and the person that I can turn to for anything that is going on in my life. He has always treated each of his children with respect, even when my siblings and I do some pretty stupid things. He is one of the most selfless people that I know.  He has been a father to not only my siblings and I, but to many other people who may not have a father figure in their life.
My Parents and my Maternal Grandparents with my sister and her husband at their sealing in Winter Quarters Nebraska!
My grandpa is somebody who I also look up to. He cares so much about other people and wants to help others all the time. He recently has been sick, but that hasn't stopped him at all. He has been there for my family, my aunt and her family, and my uncle and his family. He never gives up and he loves to teach my brothers about riding motorcycles. He amazes me too.

My sister and my brother-in-law have two children. Josh absolutely loves his kids. He loves spending time with them and he is a really good example to my younger brothers. He treats my sister like a queen and I think that it will help my nephews to not treat women less than the queens that they are and it will help my nieces to know not to expect anything less than being a queen.
My brother-in-law with my nephew and my newborn niece.
My older brother is somebody who I respect a lot. He came home off his two year mission in Seattle, Washington and got married. He and his wife had a handsome baby boy named Oliver Swede in July. Now, I have seen plenty of new dads and how they interact with their children, but I have never seen anybody act like how my brother acts with my sweet nephew. He just absolutely amazes me. Jacob has been one amazing blessing in my life.
My older brother and his sweet little one!!!
There is a primary song that comes to mind when talking about fatherhood and it is Love is Spoken Here in the children's song book. https://www.lds.org/music/library/childrens-songbook/love-is-spoken-here?lang=eng
The thing that sticks out to me here is how blessed I am to have the priesthood in my home, with my father and my mother leading the way. It is one of the biggest blessings that I have. I know that without fathers, we wouldn't be able to return to live with our Father in Heaven. I am so grateful for my dad, and for all of the father figures that I have in my life. I am grateful for the priesthood in my life and for the opportunity that I have to be able to go anywhere and have the priesthood and the chance to receive a priesthood blessing. I am grateful for the men in my life who are worthy to hold the priesthood and who are amazing examples of what fathers should be.


If you have questions about the priesthood, fathers or anything else about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I would love to answer your questions. Or you can find answers at mormon.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment