Friday, December 16, 2016

The Family: A Proclamation to the World

In 1995, President Gordon B. Hinckley taught that "the divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally." To be able to have and partake of sacred ordinances and covenants is something that just amazes me. To be sealed for time and all eternity, is something that amazes me even more because I am so excited for the day that I can be sealed to my eternal companion forever. Not only to my eternal companion, but to my entire family-forever. In 1998, President Henry B. Eyring stated, "Eternal life means to become like the Father and to live in families in happiness and joy forever."
Nauvoo Illinois Temple
Elder A. Theodore Tuttle of the Seventy taught: "Frequently we perform marriages in the temple. These marriages are properly called celestial marriages, temple sealings, or eternal marriages. . . The family is the most important relationship in this life. In reality, the bride and groom are called to assingments in the family from which they are never released, except by transgression. This is the one eternal unit which can exist in the presence of God." When I first read this quote, I cried. What a blessing it is to know that I can be with my eternal family forever.

Looking back on my many life experiences, I have come to realize that I have shared a lot more about the Family: A proclamation to the World. I remember in high school, many of my friends were of different faiths and didn't understand all of the things that I believed. I had some of the most amazing experiences ever getting to share things with them that were so special to me.

Three and a half generations. My parents, my siblings, and my great grandmother. My sister was pregnant at the time.
One experience in particular I hold very close to my heart. I was able to talk with a dear friend of mine, who was struggling with what to do about graduation. She knew that she needed to graduate, so that she could work towards giving her daughter a better life. I talked with her about the importance of being able to not only provide for her physical needs, but also her emotional needs. She needed to be able to provide a stable home for her little girl. Her and her boyfriend at the time, decided that they needed to get engaged. It all came from a conversation about providing a stable home for their little girl, having her mommy and her daddy at home with her. She was willing to put her life on hold, so that he could also graduate. She wanted to make sure that her baby had what she never did.

No comments:

Post a Comment